The great potential of wastewater heat recovery can best be illustrated with a few facts and figures:
- Potential: Heat from wastewater can cover an estimated 5 to 14% of the building heating and hot water requirements in Germany.
- Climate protection: Wastewater heat utilisation does not need fossil fuels. If the electricity for the heat pump comes from renewable energies, the CO2 emissions are zero.
- Availability: Wastewater heat is predominantly generated where it is needed – in cities and conurbations.
- Previously generated heat energy is used instead of being wasted. The distribution can fall back on and use the existing sewer network.
- Economic efficiency: Heat from wastewater is competitive even without subsidies.
- Acceptance: Wastewater heat is tapped underground without interfering with the landscape or townscape.
- Independence: Wastewater heat reduces dependence on fossil fuels.
Energy generation from wastewater is “Made in Germany” and has strong export potential because it can be applied worldwide. UHRIG is the market leader in the conception, design, construction and installation of wastewater heat exchangers. Our heat exchanger – the Therm-Liner – is already in use in almost 100 wastewater heat recovery plants across Europe. And our practical experience from this shows: Energy generation from wastewater is competitive and a convincing factor in the energy transition.